So this is how Im going to track my time through South Africa. Blog form. Unfortunately, every ounce of internet I use costs me money so I do not know how tricked out or in depth Im going to go but I'll try.

I am currently in Cape Town, South Africa and I will be here for about 5 months. I will be taking class at UCT while taking on some kind of service learning project at a site CIEE has a relationship with. I live with all the kids in my program (there are 18) on one property with two houses right below UCT's campus.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

St. James Beach and Constantia

Yesterday, a small (more manageable) group of us went to St. James Beach and Constantia. The day was one of the hottest yet and escaping to the coast was the best idea. Though it took a while we also rode the train out there (there is a station right by our house), which was pretty cool. St James Beach is known for its colorful changing huts and I’m sure if you have ever looked in a Cape Town guidebook you have seen them.  The beach, to little surprise was gorgeous, but also secluded, and (thank god) not windy. The water is also relatively warmer because it’s in a big bay and not on the Atlantic side of the cape. Apparently that makes a difference in temperature, don’t ask my why. Last week we went to Camp’s Bay, which is on the other side of the cape and it was awful, the water was near freezing and it was so windy we were being pelted with sand the whole time. St. James also has tidal pools, which I was pretty excited about until I couldn’t find one thing other than seaweed. Other than that though it was sublime.
Constantia is a wine growing area in Cape Town. There is also a region north of Cape Town called Stellenbosch but that is its own deal. Like any wine producing area it was filled with large sweeping estates and way too many obscenely wealthy people. It is really amazing going back and forth between places like Constantia and the townships. They are two starkly different worlds: the haves and the have-nots. Cape Town is a first and third world city.
Well ignoring the apparent social issues of South Africa, the scenery was unbelievable. I’m not much of a cyclist but I would love spend a day biking through that area. We went to Groot Constantia, a large vineyard and winery in the area. We missed the last cellar tour of the day but gladly lounged around for a wine tasting. This was my first official wine tasting and as anyone who chatted to me right before I left knows, this was the only thing I wanted to do once I got to Cape Town. This one small activity, which I am still currently barred from doing in the US was what got me to let go of the anxiety of travel and get really excited about coming here. Odd I know, but hey, whatever is necessary. Lucky for me so far my time in Cape Town has been nothing but perfect. Cheers!


My pastie ass on the beach. There you go Mom, a pic of me




The Crew

No comments:

Post a Comment